Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Chicken Curry and Creamed Cauliflower...WOW!

I LOVE savory food. Love it. Makes my heart and my tummy so very happy!!

I have been off grains and sugar for the last 2-3 weeks, eating a huge salad at lunch every day, and some kind of lean meat and veggie for dinner. So far, I have not really missed grain at all, which I find very surprising, since it has driven my food choices for so many years!

In my quest for new recipes, I came upon a chicken curry recipe that was more complicated. You are supposed to brown veggies, then brown the chicken, then make a sauce and...well, you get the idea. It is pretty time intensive! So I made it easy. And fast. And it makes the kitchen smell good all.day.long. Really!!

First off, curry powder. You can use a premade one, but I can't have any peppers, so I threw together a quick blend of pre-ground spices and toasted it in a dry skillet to bring out the aromas. Once I get my new mortar and pestle...look out!



Thai Curry Powder

1 Tbsp ground Turmeric
3 Tbsp ground corriander
2 Tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground peppercorns (pref. white, but black will work)
1 pinch ground cloves

Heat dry skillet to medium high and add mixed ground spices. Stir or toss til they are well mixed and the heat has brought out all the yummy aromas and oils. Let cool and store in small glass jar. Makes about 1/2 C. Make it ahead of time and when the taste for curry makes you crazy, you are ready to go!

Chicken Curry

1 can coconut milk
1/2 can water
2 T of curry powder (see above)
2 t freshly minced ginger...though I used dried today, since I was out of fresh
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Vidalia or other sweet onion, sliced
pinch of salt
4 chicken breasts, cut into strips; you can also use thighs or legs

Mix all ingredients except chicken in bottom of crock pot. Add chicken and stir to coat. Cook on low for 2 -3 hours, or 'til chicken is cooked.

So this deliciousness was wafting through the house all day...and got me hankerin' after something creamy to offset the curry...what to do, what to do? So I got online and found a Creamed Cauliflower recipe that I had to doctor because, well, that's what I do! And I was missing a few of their ingredients! Here is my version:

Creamed Cauliflower


1 large head cauliflower, steamed well (you don't want al dente for this!)
2/3 block cream cheese, softened (it can sit out while the cauliflower steams)
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup plain kefir (or other milk sub...that's just what we had)
2 small cloves of garlic, peeled
salt to taste

Add cheese, butter, and garlic to food processor. Cut up cauliflower into chunks and steam cauliflower 'til cooked through. Drain and add to food processor. Turn on and pulse 'til big pieces are broken down, and add kefir/milk only if needed to combine all ingredients. Add salt to taste.

Mercy!! What a good, flavorful dinner! I am sure the cream cheese adds more calories than you have to have, but it was what I had and it sure was good!!

Let me know if you try it, and what you think!








No comments:

Post a Comment